How do you know you have mold if it’s not visible? A pungent, musty odor is often the first sign of mold, whether you can see the growth or not, but there are other clues that you may need mold removal. Recognizing the early warning signs of mold growth gives you the opportunity to be proactive with mold removal, which can save you thousands of dollars in costly repairs. Be good to your health and your wallet and arrange timely black mold removal or mold remediation as soon as it is found.
Here are some indications you might have a mold problem:
Clues to Mold and Mildew Growth
- Musty odors – The smell of mold depends on the source of the moisture, where it enters and what it grows on. Generally, it’s described as musty, earthy and stale.
- Water leaks or flooding – Water and pipe leaks can go undetected for a long time, but if you inspect for a leaking roof or pipes regularly you might be able to find it early.
- Allergy or respiratory issues – If allergy symptoms increase it could mean high levels of mold in your home or building. Coughing, wheezing or a phlegmy throat may indicate that mold remediation is necessary.
- Toxic poisoning symptoms – High exposure to mold can lead to headaches, difficulty concentrating and dizziness, due to the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) produced by black mold and other varieties. VOCs at higher levels can irritate mucous membranes and the central nervous system.
- Water stains – Excessive moisture often causes discoloration of walls and ceilings. Also look for bulging drywall or rusty nail heads.
- Peeling paint – When paint begins to crack or peel, it’s a good sign that moisture is building up under the paint. Often, by the time this is noticeable, mold has had the opportunity to grow in the wall and mold removal is needed.
- Warped wood – When wood gets too saturated it warps and buckles. Mold thrives in this environment.
- Black growth in the bathroom – Water can penetrate grout, often resulting in mold growth behind the tiles. Grunge and dirt easily make their way into grout to provide an ideal environment for mold to grow. If you see these signs, it’s time for black mold removal.
- Visible growth – If you can actually see the mold, it could be a sign that there’s a larger growth problem in places you can’t see. Get it checked as soon as possible.
Take mold growth seriously and get it inspected and taken care of as soon as you detect a possible problem. If you suspect you have a problem but can’t see mold, you should call a professional mold inspection company. They can help you avoid health problems that mold can cause, as well as costly structural repairs. Watch our video below, and be sure to check out Health Effects of Mold.
Certified Restoration is here to help with questions or provide assistance with mold and mildew removal. Give us a call 24/7 and we’ll give you the information you need.
– George Fahouris, Director of Operations
George’s expertise in marketing, management and building high powered teams has guided Certified Restoration’s accelerated business growth and commitment to customer service. Involved in day to day operations, George focuses especially on Internet marketing and social media.