If you’ve never had water and mold damage in your home, you should be prepared because chances are you will experience one or the other at some point. If you’ve already had to deal with mold removal, you know from experience the damage it can cause.

Mold can grow wherever there’s a problem from water, whether it’s pipe or roof leak. In fact humidity can even be enough to get mold started.

Why be concerned? Mold can ruin just about anything it grows on and can be dangerous to your health—mold produces allergens, irritants and sometimes, potentially toxic elements. Contact can trigger all kinds of reactions, from allergic responses to asthma attacks.

If you know or suspect mold damage, the EPA reports that you may be able to take care of the problem yourself if it’s a relatively small area of about 3 ft. by 3 ft. (If you plan to handle it yourself, refer to EPA Guidelines at www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html). In most cases, however, it is recommended that you bring in a certified professional who has experience cleaning up water damage and mold growth.

When not dealt with properly, mold and moisture will continue to be a damaging problem. This can be avoided with the help of a trained professional who will identify the source and determine the extent and potential harm of mold growth. With a specialist, damage can be kept to the smallest area possible. A professional will also remove contamination and thoroughly dry the area.

Here are some basic points to remember about moisture and mold:

  • You may be able to avoid problems if you fix plumbing leaks and water issues immediately.
  • The longer mold grows, the more damage it can cause, so fix the problem as soon as you discover or suspect it.
  • Once mold has stained or damaged an item, it may not be possible to clean it to its original appearance and may have to be replaced.
  • If water or mold damage is caused by sewage or contaminated water leaks, don’t attempt to fix it yourself; hire a contractor experienced in cleanup and remediation of contaminated water and mold remediation.
  • When the bathroom shows signs of mold that continues to be a problem, try using a fan or opening a window when the shower or bath is being used.


MICHAEL FAHOURIS – President, Certified Restoration

Founder and owner of Certified Restoration, Michael began his career in the cleaning and restoration industry over 20 years ago and has been a business owner since 1988. Michael has completed hundreds of cleaning restoration projects, and has worked with property managers, insurance agents, adjusters, plumbers, roofers, and homeowners.

Michael holds numerous certificates from the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), a non-profit certification organization that establishes and monitors standards for the industry. He regularly takes continuing education classes in all areas of the restoration industry.