In light of the recent, destructive San Diego fires, we thought we’d highlight some of the effects of fire and smoke damage within the home. Fire – even in small amounts – can be extremely dangerous even if the after effects are not immediately visible. There are a few things that need to be known before entering the home after you have had a fire. Fire damage restoration is almost always necessary.
First, consult a fire marshal and ensure that it is safe to re-enter the home after fire damage. Even though you may want to inspect and see what survived the fire, you need to be safe for obvious reasons. Fire can cause the home to be extremely unstable and dangerous.
Immediately following the fire, call a smoke and fire damage restoration specialist to help assess the damage in the home and begin the clean up process. A fire damage restoration professional can save a lot of money, time and keep your family safe when dealing with fire damage, but here are some things you can do before they arrive to help speed up the process a bit more.
Remember: DO NOT enter your home without approval from a fire marshal!
Fire Damage Restoration Clean Up Tips:
- Open all windows and doors to ventilate and help get the smoke out as much as possible.
- Cover any clean, unaffected pieces of furniture up with plastic to make sure they are not damaged in the clean up process.
- Do not try to clean anything yourself. The soot and smoke that has set into the furniture and carpet can be dangerous.
- Don’t plug in any electronics. Call an electrician to inspect for any electrical damage from the fire.
- Throw out any open of possibly exposed foods that make have been contaminated from the fire.
Fire and smoke are very tricky problems to deal with, and should only be taken care of by professionals who are well educated in the field. At Certified Restoration, our highly trained fire damage restoration technicians know that areas of the home that may look unaffected by the fire may still possibly be dangerous. We promise to inspect every cavity of your home to make sure every bit of smoke damage is taken care of so you can get back into your home as soon as possible.