Wildfire season is hitting Southern California hard this year- with the Thomas Fire in Ventura County, and the Lilac Fire in San Diego County, thousands of families and their homes are in danger. Families are facing devastating loss and huge expenses right before the holidays.
Here’s how you can help Southern California’s fire victims:
Donating money is the most versatile way of helping victims- the Red Cross and other funding organizations can identify what supplies and resources are needed, and put funding toward these necessities. You can donate to the Red Cross by texting “REDCROSS” 9099. Other crowdfunding opportunities are YouCaring or GoFundMe.
- Visit Red Cross to apply to become a Red Cross Volunteer. They will be posting about volunteer needs on their social media platforms.
- Call 858-755-1161 for information on how you can help with fire relief at the Del Mar Fairgrounds where hundreds of horses have been relocated upon evacuation orders.
- The SD Humane Society is accepting donations from their Amazon Wish List to help displaced animals affected by the wildfires.
- To help victims in LA County: The Catholic Charities organization is accepting gently used clothing and Christmas gifts for families. They can be dropped off at Catholic Charities’ Ventura Community Services Center at 303 N. Ventura Ave. Ventura, CA 93001.
Fire Victims Resources:
- For updates on the status of fire control visit Cal Fire.
- For information on how to be prepared if wildfires are threatening your area, click here.
- Uber and Lyft are offering free rides to evacuees to and from evacuation centers. Uber Code: SOCALSAFE and Lyft Code: KEEPSDSAFE
Stay safe out there, SoCal!