With the weather finally beginning to cool down, it’s time to get ready for one of our favorite holiday seasons, fall! In addition to carving pumpkins, eating candy, and getting ready for a big Thanksgiving dinner… It’s important to make sure your home is in tiptop shape for the upcoming rainy weather. Use these must-do fall maintenance tips to prepare your home for fall and prevent the need for water damage restoration.
Water Damage Restoration Prevention: Exterior
- Regularly clean all gutters and downspouts. Make sure all drainage areas remain unblocked by any sort of debris, leaves, or sticks.
- Fill any holes or gaps in wood trim around windows, doors, railings, and decks.
- Inspect or hire a professional roofing company to examine for damaged, curling, or cracked shingles. A small leak on your roof during a storm can lead to a large water damage restoration project in your home.
- Have a professional inspect, clean, and repair your fireplace if necessary to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and house fires.
- If you live in an area where the temperature commonly drops below freezing, wrap exterior water pipes with heating tape to save energy.
- Replace filters in your furnace or heating system. If you have a gas heating system, it is wise to contact your local utility company for an inspection before running your heating system at the beginning of each chilly season to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Check your attic to make sure all insulation is in working condition and installed properly. Over time, insulation can break down and needs replacement. Having the best insulation in your attic can save you a lot of money in heating throughout the season.
Doors and Windows
- Check all windows and doors for any breeze coming through. After time, windows seals crack and shrink, causing cold air to come through until a seal is replaced. Install weather stripping around all windows and doors (including the garage) to prevent cold air from coming through.
Now that we’re getting some relief from San Diego’s summer heat, it’s time to snuggle up inside with your family next to the fire and enjoy some hot cocoa. Unfortunately, the upcoming wet and cold weather can bring some unwanted moisture into your home if the above precautions are not taken. Please seek professional help when getting inspections or dealing with any sort of water damage restoration with wet carpet or wet hardwood floor inside your home.
In the event of any water damage restoration emergency, Certified Restoration will always be there to help. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Give us a call and we’ll help get you back on track.